Purpose and Goals
The MTheol programme aims to provide students with advanced competency in a specific area of theological discipline. The programme is a preparatory degree for further graduate study at the doctoral level, or for academic research and teaching that focuses on one area of discipline, or for students to develop advanced practical-theological competence in a specific area of ministry. The goal of the programme is to provide the students with expertise for academic research, the ability to integrate what has been studied and the skills to relate their studies to their contexts.
- The students show advanced knowledge, mastery of a specific area of theological discipline;
- The students show advanced practical-theological competence in a specific area of ministry.
The MTheol degree is conferred by Divinity School of Chung Chi College in lieu of The Chinese University of Hong Kong. MTheol students are registered as “Associate Students” at The Chinese University of Hong Kong.Application Procedures Application Form Confidential Recommendation (PDF)
Minimum Entrance Requirements
- A recognized MDIV / BD or a good MA academic degree in Christian studies.
- Two letters of recommendations, one from the church and one from an academic institution.
- The requirement of an entrance exam is at the discretion of the admission committee.
- English language requirement: IELTS (academic) 5.5 or equivalent scores in another recognized qualification.
- Applicants have obtained an accredited award in English from a university or a seminary, or Hong Kong local university OR
- Applicants obtain an English Grade D in HKALE or a HKDSE English Grade 3.
Areas of Study
Students are required to declare an area of concentration (at least 12 credits from one of the following areas)
- Biblical Studies and Early Christianity
- Chinese Christianity
- Historical and Constructive Theology
- Practical Theology
Students are required to declare an area of concentration upon admission:
- Biblical Studies (New Testament/Hebrew Scripture)
- Systematic Theology/Constructive Theology
- History of Christianity
- Christianity in China
- Mission Studies/Missiology
- Practical Theology/Pastoral Studies
- Christianity and Society
- 24 credits: Courses Taken.
- 12 credits: Comprehensive Examination consisting of two exam papers: the first is a general paper of the area of concentration, and the second is a specific paper of the area of concentration.
- 6 credits: One extended research paper of the area of concentration with no less than 15,000 words (English) or 22,000 characters (Chinese).
|Master of Theology (Full Time)|
|Term 1||Term 2||End of 1st year of study||Term 1|
|Courses Taken||Courses Taken||Comprehensive Exam||Extended Research Paper|
|24 credits||12 credits||6 credits|
|Master of Theology (Part Time)|
|Term 1||Term 2||Term 1||Term 2||End of 2nd year of study||Term 1||Term 2|
|Courses Taken||Courses Taken||Comprehensive Exam||Extended Research Paper||Extended Research Paper|
|24 credits||12 credits||3 credits||3 credits|
Period of Study
|Study Mode||Normative Study Period||Maximum Study Period|
|Full Time||1.5 years||3 years|
|Part Time||3 years||5 years|
- Tuition Fee
Study Mode Payment Schedule Tuition Fee Per Installment (HKD) Total (HKD) Full Time Year one Term 1
Year one Term 2
Final Year Term 1
21,050 63,150 Part Time Year one term 1
Year two term 1
Year three term 1
- Continuation Fee: HK$5,275 each term (Continuation fee would be charged each term beyond the normative study period.)
Grade and Standard
|Excellent or Honors|
|Good or High Pass|
|C+ or below||Fail|
Programmes of Study and Course Lists
Please refer to the Student Handbook.