Director, Divinity School of Chung Chi College
Director, The Centre for Christian Studies
The task of systematic theology is “reinterpretation of the tradition for the present situation” (David Tracy). This is the task for every generation of theologians, including pastor, preachers, church musicians, lay leaders, and seminary teachers. Systematic theology is not simple reiteration of what theologians have said in the past, but reinterpretation of it for the present situation. The Christian tradition to be reinterpreted, which includes biblical writings and church dogmas that are regarded by many as universally and everlastingly valid, is itself the product of intended or unintended responses to the social, cultural, ecclesial, and historical contexts that have been shaping it. The meaning, significance, and implications of any aspect of the tradition thus cannot be properly understood apart from these contexts.
- Recipient of the Outstanding Teaching Award from the Faculty of Arts for the years 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017.
- Recipient of the Young Researcher Award 2011 of CUHK
- Hong Kong protests and political theology
- Theology and politics in Hong Kong Christianity: sermons, prayers, and disputes, 2013–2015.
- Christian discourse with Chinese characteristics: Protestant theology in the political and cultural context of China, 1980-2010
- Yip, Francis Ching-Wah. “Christianity and the Political Religion of China.” In Religion, Secularism, and Political Belonging. Edited by Leerom Medovoi and Elizabeth Bentley. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, forthcoming.
- Yip, Francis Ching-wah. “ ‘For Our Struggle Is Not against Flesh and Blood’: The Demonic in Hong Kong. ” In The Hong Kong Protests and Political Theology. Edited by Kwok Pui-lan and Francis Ching-wah Yip. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, forthcoming.
- Yip, Francis Ching-Wah. Capitalism as Religion? A Study of Paul Tillich's Interpretation of Modernity. Harvard Theological Studies, no.59. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2010.
- Yip, Francis Ching-Wah. “Protestant Christianity in Contemporary China.” In Chinese Religions in Contemporary Societies, 175–205. Edited by James Miller. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2006.
- 葉菁華：《尋真求全：中國神學與政教處境初探》。香港：基督教中國宗教文化研究社， 1997。